Photographic Reconnaissance Squadrons
1939 - 1946
|Operational Training Units (OTU)|
|Formed on 18th May 1942 as part of
17 (Training) Group, it came into being by the joining of 1 PRUs Operational
Training Flight and the PRU Conversion Flight at No 3 School of General
Reconnaissance, it's role was to under the training of Photo-Reconnaissance
Spitfire pilots. However; by November 1942 it was also training crews for the
photographic reconnaissance Mosquito.
By February 1943 the Unit had moved to Dyce.
The Unit transferred to No 106 (PR) Wing in July 1943 and from September to December 1944 it carried out operational tasking over Norway. Another move for the Unit in January 1945 saw it set up operations at Haverfordwest and back in the control of 17 Group, however, this did not last long and in June of this year it was back under the command of 106 Group.
The Unit was disbanded on 31st July 1947, however, before this it was to be based at Mount Farm in June 1945, Chalgrove in July 1946 and then finally Benson in October 1946. It was to see life again as 237 Operational Conversion Unit.